As National Skin Cancer Awareness Month winds to a close with Memorial Day weekend in which most people will be enjoying time outdoors and by the pool, the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention coined today as “Don’t Fry Day.” Skin cancer is a dangerous and avoidable disease, and whether or not you develop skin cancer, cumulative sun exposure makes the skin age faster producing fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots. Therefore, the providers of AYA Medical Spa wanted to offer you a guide to applying sunscreen the right way as well as a guide to the sunscreen products we offer.
Tips for sunscreen application:
- Consider each part of the body, and be sure not to leave anything out (i.e., the ears are easy to forget but a painful place for sunburn).
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB rays. Chemical-free products are better for sensitive skin, so look for products that contain titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Rather than being absorbed by skin, chemical-free products sit on top of the skin causing less irritation.
- Don’t be fooled by the SPF labeling. In most cases, SPF 30 should suffice as sunscreens with a higher SPF do not provide much additional protection.
- If you use chemical-based sunscreen, be sure to apply it 20 to 30 minutes before going into the sun to allow time for in to absorb into the skin. This is not required for chemical-free sunscreens.
- Reapplying sunscreen is vital. We recommend reapplying every 2 hours or after swimming or sweating.
- For extra protection, use sunscreen before applying makeup, and use makeup with a built-in SPF.
Sunscreen products available at AYA:
- Obagi® Medical: Healthy Skin Protection SPF 35 & C-SunGuard SPF 30
- iS Clinical®: SPF 25 Treatment Sunscreen
- Elta MD®: Moisturizer SPF 30
- Franchè Mineral Makeup: Concealer, Pressed Foundation, Pressed Powder, Bronzing Powder SPF 20
- Revision®: Intellishade™ SPF 45 – tinted moisturizer that conceals, corrects, & protects
We hope you’ll enjoy your long weekend, but don’t forget the sunscreen! Read this blog if you’re wondering what you can do to treat signs of sun damage you’ve already accumulated. For more information about services offered at AYA Medical Spa, visit our website. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.