Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, chemical peel, facial…the list goes on and on when it comes to figuring out what skincare regimen is right for you. You skim through fashion magazines to see what products celebrities are using or look to beauty bloggers for tips and tricks, but with all that information floating around on the internet it is almost impossible to keep up with the gamut of treatments, products, and trends out there. That being said, most individuals in the beauty industry may have differences in opinion when it comes to personal recommendations, but a good percentage of them can agree on what not to do in regards to skincare.
We at AYA Medical Spa believe in treating your skin with the utmost care including hydrating, treating, and protecting it from harmful toxins and UV rays. Below we will share a few of the most common skincare mistakes most women make and how to avoid them:
- Sleeping in your makeup – No matter how much or how little product you have left on your face after a long day, it is extremely important to remove your makeup before bedtime. Sleeping in your makeup can not only clog your pores, but it can also increase the size of your pores, causing inflammation and a decrease in collagen which can jumpstart the signs of aging to appear. Before climbing under the covers, use a gentle cleanser followed by moisturizer.
- Skipping sunscreen – In order to reduce your chances of sun damage, skin cancer, or other types of skin diseases, it is important to reapply sunscreen as often as possible, avoid tanning beds, and receive a yearly skin exam. Opt for sunscreens that contain a high SPF number of 30 or higher. No matter the climate conditions you’re exposed to, it is still important to cover up all unprotected areas to shield your skin from the sun.
- Using the wrong products for your skin type – Whether you have oily, dry, acne-prone, or combination skin, each individual’s genetic makeup reacts differently to specific products and requires a particular skincare regimen. AYA offers complimentary consultations with a licensed esthetician who will perform a skin analysis. Your esthetician will listen to your concerns, thoroughly evaluate your skin, and recommend a treatment protocol based on your skin’s needs.
- Squeezing/picking blemishes – Though it may be difficult, try to resist the urge to pop zits as it’ll be worse for your skin in the long run. Pimples are not inflamed by bacteria, but the inflammation and redness is actually attributed to your immune system. Acne strikes for many reasons including hormones, reactions to medications, even the use of oily or greasy hair products. Squeezing blemishes forces bacteria downward instead of upward and refocuses inflammation under the skin and picking before the spot has fully healed may cause bruising and scarring. If you’re suffering from acne-prone skin, AYA offers a variety of acne treatments for all skin types.
- Not drinking enough water – Water not only keeps you hydrated, but it also can improve your skin. According to The University of Wisconsin Health, if you’re not getting a sufficient amount of water (i.e. 91-125 ounces a day), your skin will start to become dehydrated and result in a flaky, dry complexion.
- Using dirty makeup brushes – Purchase a quality brush cleaner (especially to clean your foundation brush) that won’t damage the bristles. This will ensure no dirt and old makeup buildup is going to disturb your skin.
For more skincare tips or to learn more about which of our treatments are best for you, contact us. Also, connect with AYA Medical Spa on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest for the latest cosmetic and skincare news and updates.