Whether you’re hitting the beaches in the Caribbean, taking it to the mountains, or going on a European getaway this summer, it is important to follow a regimented skin care routine as each destination has a different climate and can affect your skin in altered ways. AYA Medical Spa believes in treating your skin with the utmost care including moisturizing, nourishing, exfoliating, and most importantly, protecting it from harmful toxins and UV rays. Below we will share a few tips on how to keep your skin in tip-top shape during your travels:
- Drink plenty of fluids-Water not only keeps you hydrated, but it also can improve your skin. According to University of Wisconsin Health, if you’re not getting a sufficient amount of water (i.e. 91-125 ounces a day), your skin will start to become dehydrated and result in a dry, flaky, and dry complexion.
- Apply and reapply sunscreen—According to the American Cancer Society, sunscreen does not block all UV rays and shouldn’t be used to prolong your time spent in the sun. Opt for sunscreens that contain a high SPF number of 30 or higher. No matter if you’re in a hot, cold, cloudy, or windy climate, it is still important to cover all exposed areas to protect your skin from the sun.
- Wear protective clothing—Depending on where you’re traveling to, the intensity of the sun can fluctuate and potentially result in major damage to your skin. Protecting both your face and body with not only sunscreen, but also with lightweight garments and accessories such as hats and sunglasses will shield your skin and prevent it from pigmentation, sun spots, sunburn, and the potential development of skin cancer.
- Moisturize—Dryness of the skin can come from multiple factors such as dehydration, spending too much time in the sun, or taking hot showers which can strip your skin of nourishment. By thoroughly moisturizing your skin, you can improve your skin texture and treat skin damage.
- Remove your makeup—While on vacation, it is most likely that you’ll be spending much of your time outdoors. If you can, try to avoid wearing makeup that will clog your pores. Instead, opt for non-comedogenic makeup that allows the skin to breathe throughout the day. Another option is tinted moisturizer such as the Revision® Skincare Intellishade tinted moisturizer which provides UV protection, moisturizes, and blends naturally with the color of your skin.
For more skin care tips or to learn more about which of our skincare treatments are best for you, contact us. Also, connect with AYA on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for the latest cosmetic and skincare news and updates.