Welcome to AYA Medical Spa’s November edition of Beauty Buzz! This newsletter is focused on skincare essentials. Plus, we dive deep into one of our favorite lip-enhancing procedures, the Lip Flip.
Introducing The Pumpkin Enzyme Mask by Revision Skincare
pumpkin enzyme + bixa orellana seed extract + gold Brazilian clay
Featuring the gentle, dual-action of pumpkin exfoliators, the new Revision Skincare Pumpkin Enzyme Mask instantly revitalizes the complexion by drawing out impurities and leaving the skin smooth and healthy.
The Lip Flip Procedure by Nurse Practitioner, Alorna Maxey
- Q: What is a “Lip Flip”?
- A: The lip flip involves a procedure using a neuromodulator product such as Botox Cosmetic to help relax the upper lip to give a more subtle and natural enhancement. The oral lip muscle called the orbicularis oris, is responsible for movement and expression of the upper and lower lip. The lip flip can address any of the following concerns that clients present with, such as a gummy smile, where the upper gums are seen when a client smiles, upper lip lines or “wrinkles” seen when at rest, or when a client purses their lips and lastly thin upper lips needing a slight volume enhancement.
- Q: Who is the ideal candidate?
- A: The lip flip is a great procedure for those who are new to injectable procedures and want to ease their way into aesthetic injectables. Many clients aren’t quite ready for dermal lip fillers and a subtle lip flip is a great alternative and introductory procedure. If you have ever noticed your upper lip seems to disappear when you smile, have bothersome wrinkles above the upper lip, or dislike your gums being visible when smiling then have no fear! The lip flip is here to save you, my dear!
- Q: What to expect?
- A: Your provider will always do their due diligence to make the procedure as comfortable as possible. A topical numbing is placed above the upper lip 10-15 minutes prior to the procedure. The upper lip is then properly cleansed to remove any bacteria potentially located at or around the injection sites. The procedure involves 3-4 injections that are inserted with a tiny needle above the upper lip in precisely placed sites that are individualized to each client by your provider. Your provider may also use a handheld beauty bar tool that vibrates and provides a distraction from the actual injection and enhances overall comfort. The number of units used will be determined by your provider and typically ranges between 2-4 units of Botox Cosmetic. The actual lip flip procedure takes less than 5 minutes and has little to no downtime.
- Q: What is the difference between Dermal Lip Fillers and a Lip Flip?
- A: The biggest difference between dermal lip filler and a lip flip is the product used. Dermal lip filler uses hyaluronic acid products to enhance the lip to give volume, height, or add hydration to the lips. A lip flip uses a neuromodulator product such as Botox Cosmetic to help relax muscle movement. The Botulinum Toxin product used is typically known to last 3 to 4 months, however, due to constant use and daily movement of the lips, a lip flip tends to last up to 2 months. The lip flip can be more cost-effective and is great for clients who have an upcoming event where the healing process of bruising and swelling is a potential concern. Dermal fillers on the other hand have a healing process of up to 3 weeks, last up to 1 year, and can be a great next step after trialing a lip flip.
- Q: What are the post-care instructions?
- A: After the treatment, the client is advised to sit upright for 4 hours, should avoid facial massages and any type of facial procedure for 2 weeks, and avoid exercising or alcohol consumption for 24 hours to optimize results and prevent the spread of the neuromodulator to unwanted areas. It is normal for a client to feel a slight difficulty when trying to sip out of a straw. This is due to the upper lip muscle being relaxed and typically resolves in 1-2 weeks. It is recommended the client avoid straws if possible, during this time. Bruising is unlikely; however, a client can use arnica gel topically or take arnica tablets orally to reduce bruising and swelling as well as use icepacks for no more than 20 minutes per hour.
- Q: When do I see results and when do I follow up?
- A: The treatment begins to settle in within a few days with full results seen 2 weeks after the initial treatment. A repeat treatment and follow-up for a lip flip can be done at 2 to 3 months. This is the time where a client can then decide to continue with lip flips for a shorter-acting lip enhancement or move on to a longer-lasting lip treatment such as dermal lip fillers. Clients are ultimately very happy with either treatment or a combination of both. Your provider can always be the guide and educator to help ensure the ultimate lip enhancement goals.
If you are curious if a Lip Flip is the right procedure for you, schedule an in-person and phone consultation. All consultations are confidential and complimentary.
Phyto-C B5 Gel
“I LOVE the Phyto-C B5 Gel! It absorbs into my skin well and I find that it has helped significantly with my acne, oily & dryness, and redness. It’s a game-changer for me.”